Our study focuses on the development of Central European town-hall-architecture from the 1860s to the First World War. We compare the town-hall-architecture of two countries: the Austro-Hungarian Monarchy (1867) and Germany (1871). Both states were born pursuant to public law in this period, as well. This fact as well as the similar political, economic and cultural conditions led to similar public construction works. The increasing power of the bourgeoisie was also reflected by architecture; therefore a large number of town halls were built in this period.
In our study, we analyse the functional system and the architectural design of the town halls of this region based on their façades, style and mass, thus placing the close cultural relations of the two states subject to our examination into a new perspective.